July 7, 2020
Issues Forum Summary – July 2020
Speakers: Dr. Craig Witherspoon, Superintendent, Richland School District One, Dr. James Ann Sheley, Assistant Superintendent, Richland School District Two, and Dr. Greg Little, Superintendent, Lexington School District One
The Chamber’s July Issues Forum featured the District Superintendents of Richland One and Two School Districts, and Lexington One as they discussed plans for safely re-opening schools in August and how parents, students, employers, and district resources are being integrated into the plan for the upcoming year.
- “We want our children back” and are looking at all factors will take all precautions to provide a healthy environment
- Districts are following guidelines from the Governor’s Office, the AccelerateEd Task Force, the Superintendent of Education, SC Department of Health and Environmental Control, the CDC and study results specifically related to the classroom learning environments.
- Plans are being shared with each of the respective School Boards within the very near future for input.
- Committees have been formed comprised of teachers, staff, and parents to seek input on individual thoughts about returning to school.
- All factors have to be reviewed from bus routes, to desk spaces, to fire drills, and everything in between.
- There is a tremendous amount of information and moving parts as the schools work to redefine “attending school”. The changes will transform “going to school” as most know it and will need community wide support to be successful.
Throughout the year, you can expect the Columbia Chamber to:
- Continue to work with local school administrators to represent the business perspectives and to help shape the learning environment for our future employees
- Provide communications with Chamber Partners to ensure enhanced communications and partnerships as we chart new educational conditions.
- Connect Partners with educators to share expertise and assistance where needed.
School District Contact Information:
Richland School District One, Karen York, 803.232.7504
Richland School District Two, Hotline Number, 803.790.3100
Lexington School District One, May Beth Hill, 803.381.1000