February 7, 2020
Issues Forum Summary – February 2020
February 2020: Community Safety Update
Guest Speakers: Chief Skip Holbrook, Columbia Police Department and Sheriff Leon Lott, Richland County Sheriff’s Department
Moderator: Andy Shain, Post and Courier
The Chamber’s February Issues Forum featured Chief Holbrook and Sheriff Lott discussing the current state of safety in Columbia and Richland County.
The reoccurring themes were:
- partnership and community policing
- removing illegal guns from the street
- citizens need to always lock their cars and take their concealed weapons inside
- businesses should always speak directly with law enforcement about safety in their area before making a decision regarding relocation or expansion
- if you see something say something
- the homeless issue in Columbia continuously needs to be addressed
- programs like DARE and School Resource Officers are making a difference in public schools and safety is everyone’s responsibility
Throughout the year, you can expect the Columbia Chamber to:
- Continue to foster discussions that help businesses understand the safety statistics and their impact on the business community.
- Support meaningful ordinances, laws that remove illegal guns from the street and that address repeat offenders. The certainty and severity of the punishment should be carefully considered and consistent.
- Continue to a champion for safety in the community and support for law enforcement.