December 5, 2019
Issues Forum Summary – December 2019
December 2019: Candidates for Richland School District One Board of Commissioners
Guest Speakers: Lady June Cole, Michelle Drayton, Jonathan Milling, Dr. Johnny Ray Noble, Ashlye V. Wilkerson
Jean Cecil Frick, NP Strategy, moderated the December Issues Forum. All candidates for Richland School District One Board of Commissioners were invited to share their thoughts on the opportunities facing Richland School District One.
The re-occurring themes were:
- Commitment to accountability and fiscal responsibility
- Administrative cost versus classroom investments
- Teaching students to be critical thinkers
- Providing students with more tools for success
- Teaching to “standards”
When asked about consolidating school districts, several Forum participants stated that consolidation was an option, but is not a decision that should be made in a silo – clustering of schools and services may be an alternative, and partnering with local businesses.
Throughout the year, you can expect the Columbia Chamber to:
- Continue to foster discussions with School Districts to encourage fiscal responsibility and accountability.
- Continue to promote business partnerships through apprenticeship programs to provide students opportunities and businesses future employees.
- Continue to encourage Partner involvement in issues surrounding schools and local government to maintain focus on providing balance with educating our students, supporting our teachers, managing spending and taxation, and providing a talent pool for the future.